SOHAY under this theme would like to contribute to SDG 8, promote human development, sustained economic growth, higher levels of productivity at the national, regional, local, community and individual level. SOHAY encourages entrepreneurship and job creation to effectively eradicate forced labor, slavery and human trafficking. SOHAY pushes for full and productive employment and decent work for all women and men.
The SOHAY programme team thinks logically, review the conventional and current projects run by different organisations, plan what is possible and what the community will accept and think beyond the box. SOHAY always push for innovative ideas and ready to implement those innovative ideas in programme delivery.
The lobby and advocacy for the implementation of the present policies and procedures are very important. The more the implementing organisation will engage the senior policy makers in the process, the elimination of the child labor and Modern Day Slavery will be easier and faster. The movement of the Government Machinery are very important and key. SOHAY has the necessary knowledge and capacities of doing those tasks.
Important document: SOHAY understanding on child labor in Bangladesh and the globe and ways to eliminate
The hazardous jobs children do: How to stop or change the situation?
The children living in impoverished situation are engaged in hazardous jobs. SOHAY is also aware there are children in more unfortunate situation, forced in commercial sex (pornography), migration and domestic slavery. It jeopardizes their future, keep them out of school and push them to uncertainty.
SOHAY strongly feels, children should be given full time to enjoy their childhood and study in school. And, it is possible only when we protect them from child labour. Education is the birth rights of every child. Childhood is their learning and growing period during which they should not be involved in any type of job. They should be kept completely away from child labour and should enjoy the student time of life. Let us give children a good future, hope and peace!
SOHAY’s experience of working with the impoverished families confirms that the below strategies work better to eliminating the child labor. Education and New Skills.
- Prevention– SOHAY has seen the pre-primary age children living in impoverished situation if not engaged in education are the potential groups join jobs. So preventing them from joining the jobs and engage them in the education is very wise way to help. So, admission to the nearby government primary school for primary education is the way forward.
- A quiet place to complete home work– The impoverished slum children are living in urban slums in crammed environment, no place to complete homework. SOHAY therefore offers a place called SOHAY Urban Development Center, a quiet and education friendly environment to complete homework. SOHAY uses this as an opportunity and provides necessary tips to the children about the importance of education, health and nutrition in life and how to stay healthy.
- Withdrawal– Those already engaged in jobs, withdrawal is the way forward. SOHAY identifies the children still in primary education age withdraw them from their work, provide necessary support in its UDC and send them to the nearby government primary school for education.
- Re-assignment– There are children difficult to fully withdraw from jobs due to their present socio-economic conditions SOHAY negotiate with the factory owners and re-assign these children to the non-hazardous jobs.
- Re-skilling– There are children whom SOHAY cannot bring back to school due to their age. SOHAY arranges different types of skills training for them so that they can move out of their present hazardous job and move to different jobs in future, such as sewing, plumbing, mobile service, beautician/parlour, etc.
- Job linkage– The children with new skills are sometime unable to find good job as per their capacity. SOHAY helps them finding a job in the job market.
- Policy Advocacy – SOHAY strongly feels in addition to the above there are scopes of doing policy advocacy with the decision makers to end the present child labor situation in Bangladesh.
Adolescent girls taking tailoring training to take this a full time job in future. Adolescent boys are learning mobile repairing and servicing skills for future.
SOHAY’s Projects on Child Labor Elimination:
Project Name: PROTECTION OF WORKING AND VULNERABLE CHILDREN
Funded By: DFID (Department For International Development), through Manusher Jonno Foundation
Time Frame: January 2019 to December 2021.
The project is to work with the relevant stakeholders to fight against any form of child labor and modern day slavery, eliminate child labor and ensure decent work. The way forward are the children development through education and new skills.
Through this project SOHAY will ensure marginalized working and vulnerable children have the necessary rights, means and capacity in place for enjoying better quality life. A total of 6,100 working and vulnerable children will receive development opportunities for batter life and livelihoods.
They will be withdrawn from government identified 38 hazardous jobs.
SOHAY is using the below mentioned four strategies:
a) Withdrawal of children from hazardous job and enrolling them either in formal education, or providing skill straining (re-skilling) or moving them to new hazard free jobs.
b) Identify potential children could join hazardous jobs, divert them to education before joining the hazard jobs.
c) Creating conducive work environment at workplace for working children and continuous monitoring.
d) Make employers accountable and responsible for employing child labor.
PROJECT: STOP CHILD LABOR THROUGH EDUCATION PROJECT (SCLE)
FUNDED BY : One World Foundation, https://oneworldfoundation.eu/en/
SOHAY on One World Foundation website: https://oneworldfoundation.eu/en/projects?page=2
SOHAY used four strategies implementing this project: a) prevention, b) withdrawal, c) education. d) re-skilling
Children at the Urban Development Center learning pre-primary education. Children in Government Primary Schools. Children out of school are learning mobile repairing and servicing skills.
The project is for human development and fight against any form of child labor and modern day slavery. SOHAY has diverted children to educational institutions otherwise would have joined the hazardous jobs. SOHAY withdrew children from hazardous jobs, help them getting admission in government primary schools, or having new skills to do non-hazardous jobs in future.
Through this project SOHAY has achieved the following results:
- 170 children were informed about the negative consequences of Hazardous Child Labour.
- 150students received Non-Formal Education in SOHAY Urban Development Centre and enrolled in Government Primary Schools.
- 150parents were sensitized and sent their children to schools instead of jobs.
- 20 children received Vocational Training.
- 200 children received health cards.
- 50 employers released their child employee.